Drilling Technician Certification
SEPTEMBER 1, 2001 CANADIAN GROUND WATER ASSOCIATION CERTIFICATION OF GROUNDWATER DRILLING TECHNICIANS
PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT BEFORE FILLING IN THE APPLICATION FORM
The following criteria is the approved Canadian Ground Water Association Certification Program information.
The groundwater drilling technician certification shall have one category.
There will be no separation/breakdown of categories.
The certification shall be for a groundwater drilling technician regardless of equipment type. It shall include all those individuals using cable tool, rotary (air mud, air or mud) or bucket and auger equipment.
Educational resources for individuals who want or need to upgrade are listed below. The Canadian Ground Water Association also recommends the learning resources in the water well training programs offered by: Sir Sandford Fleming Community College. Lindsay, Ontario, and Red Deer College, Red Deer, Alberta.
2. CRITERIA FOR CERTIFICATION:
Groundwater Drilling Technicians:
To write the examination the applicant must provide and meet the following requirements:
- 2 years (4000 hours) field experience in drilling water wells. Proof of this time may be an affidavit or statutory declaration from an employer, the provincial water well regulatory agency or once the program is established, other certified drillers.
- The pass mark on the examination shall be 70%.
- In case of an applicant not attaining the 70% mark, the applicant will be allowed to rewrite after a 90 day period has elapsed.
NOTE: This will allow the applicant time to make use of educational learning resources available to the industry.
- Fee structure for certification examinations:
a) For members and associate/affiliate members of provincial ground water/water well associations that are members of the Canadian Ground Water Association the fee shall be $100.00 plus GST/HST per examination.
b) Non-members are not considered eligible
c) Re-write examinations will be subject to the same fee schedule.
- To maintain CGWA certification individuals must:
a) Accumulate 14 points per year of technical upgrading by attending seminars, lectures, or workshops. Annual groundwater conventions workshops, lectures, or technical sessions will be considered as appropriate means of acquiring annual technical upgrading points.
b) Certified individuals must become and maintain full or associate/affiliate members/membership in their respective provincial ground water association that are members of the Canadian Ground Water Association in order to maintain the CGWA certification.
c) Certified individuals who do not maintain their technical upgrading or do not maintain full or associate/affiliate membership shall after a lapse period of two (2) years be required to reapply to be re-certified.
d) Renewal fee of $100.00 (plus GST/HST).
3. TECHNICAL UPGRADING:
- The CGWA will provide an appropriate form to each certified groundwater drilling technician which must be completed and returned on an annual basis to the CGWA head office indicating that the individual has attended or participated in presentations to acquire the necessary points.
- One hour of attendance/presentation at a seminar, lecture or workshop equals 2 points.
- Topics that will be considered relevant to maintain/acquire the 15 points on an annual basis:
- Any matter or subject relating to safety such as: First Aid/CPR/ WHMIS., etc.
- Provincial or national groundwater convention technical sessions, workshops or trade shows.
- Groundwater associations educational seminars.
- Pump company presentations and seminars.
- Lecturing and presentations to interested groups on groundwater, wells, pumps, safety, new equipment.
4. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
All individuals who are presently journeyman water well drillers and recognized as such by their provincial regulatory or advanced education agency, upon application and payment of a $100.00 fee,(plus GAT/HST)will be given the Canadian Ground Water Association Certification of groundwater drilling technician, provided they are a full or associate/affiliate member of their respective provincial ground water/water well association that are members of the Canadian Ground Water Association.
As of January 1, 2002, everyone will have to write the groundwater drilling technician examination.
To maintain the CGWA Certification they must maintain the membership requirement and the 15 points of annual technical upgrading will apply.
Certification Examination Information
GROUNDWATER DRILLING TECHNICIAN
|150 Questions in Total
Rotary Air/Mud/Air Hammer/Reverse Circulations
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES in preparing for CGWA Certification Examinations
- GROUNDWATER & WELLS:
Check with water well supply firms in your locale. Also available from the Red Deer College Bookstore at Red Deer College, Box 5005, Red Deer, Alberta, T4N 5H5, phone (403)342-3245 (bookstore) or Pat Yates, Program Coordinator Extension Services. Also available from Mower House, 508-10 Street N.E., Austin, Minnesota, USA 55912, phone: (507)433-8079 or fax: (507)533-1069.
- RED DEER COLLEGE:
Water Well Driller Theory - Distance education - Modules 1-2-3. P.O. Box 5005, Red Deer, AB, T4N 5H5, ph: 403-357-3663, fax: 403-342-3278, e-mail: email@example.com website: http://extension.rdc.ab.ca/?industrial_and_technical_training/
The Canadian Ground Water Association Certification APPLICATION FORM can be submitted electronically online by clicking here or print the pdf file below, fill out and mail to: Canadian Ground Water Association, 1600 Bedford Highway, Suite 100-409, Bedford, NS B4A 1E8.